While it is true that this condition can be alleviated at home, we should immediately go to the veterinarian if he regularly coughs for a full day.
Dogs may have a cough for various reasons: from seasonal allergies to choking on food. Various infections can also be caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria.
While there are different homemade options that are often used to relieve coughs in dogs, If the animal coughs regularly for more than 24 hours, you should take it to the veterinarian without delay.
Some home remedies to relieve cough in dogs
If the cough in dogs is not accompanied by other symptoms that may cause concern, try some of these homemade options:
- Honey. A spoonful every three to five hours helps soften your throat. You should not give too much honey, as it can cause stomach upset. Do not supply this food if your pet is under one year old, as it contains spores that can damage your immune system, because it is not yet fully developed. And another important detail: honey must be natural. It must not be processed or carry additives.
- Coconut oil. Among the multiple benefits that this substance provides to your dog, adding two tablespoons in your drinking fountain will help strengthen your defenses, as well as relieve your cough.
- Cinnamon. If your pet accepts it without problems, you can sprinkle it on your com>
Other tips to relieve cough in dogs
In addition to home remedies, consider these options to try to remove the annoying cough of your dog.
- Administer a small dose of pediatric cough suppressant. You can calculate the amount based on the weight of your pet.
- Give filtered water to drink. It happens that some dogs develop allergies to tap water chemicals that can cause coughing.
- Change your food. Feed additives can also cause allergic reactions over time, including cough.
- Provide vitamin C in supplements to boost your immune system. The doses are 100 milligrams daily for small dogs, 250 for medium dogs and 500 for large dogs. Lower the amount if your dog starts to have diarrhea.
- As well you can use some homeopathic medicines. Consult a specialist about the most appropriate options.
- Put it in the bathroom, close the door and Open the hot shower so that the steam relieves your irritation. Stay next to your dog during this process so that he feels accompanied and does not alter this strange situation.
- Try to keep it calm until your cough goes away. If your dog is young and plays aggressively, it can damage its respiratory tissues.
- Avoid extra irritations. Do not expose it to smoke, do not smoke near your dog and keep your house ventilated and dust free. If you use chemical products for cleaning, make sure that the animal does not approach the area where you are doing those household chores.
- Pass it early in the morning or at sunset, when the air is usually more pure. For the rest of the day, make it stay inside your home, in a warm environment.
- Give him wet food to avoid irritation when swallowing.
- Take off your necklace, so you will relieve the affected area more.
- Keep your pet away from other dogs to avoid possible infections.
Remember to always consult the vet at the slightest doubt that arises. The will know if you are using the appropriate methods to relieve and cure your pet's cough.
Cold symptoms in dogs
This pathology mainly affects the upper respiratory tract, and its most common symptoms are:
- Mucosal Injuries
- Irritated cough
- Nasal mucus
Also sometimes It can be accompanied by canine fever, apathy and discomfort. If your pet has one or more of these symptoms, do not hesitate to take him to the vet!
Home remedies for colds in dogs
One of the home remedies what can you use For the cold in dogs they are the fumes or vapors. This will help your upper respiratory tract get wet, favoring the expulsion of the mucus.
You can do it in two ways:
- Placing a dog near your dog bowl or hot water dipper, always SURVEILLING IT so it doesn't burn. You can add eucalyptus.
- Taking your dog to the bathroom, closing doors and windows and leaving the hot water tap open for a while so that the steam accumulates.
Between the Cold home remedies in dogs can not lack water. And not, we don't mean give him a bath, It's the worst thing you can do if your dog has a cold!
We mean your dog you must drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and that the mucus is diluted better. Near him should always have clean and fresh water (not cold).
Check if your pet is drinking less than usual and if so, try giving water with a syringe (no needle, of course).
The discomfort that will cause the cold in your dog may cause you to lose your appetite.
You can ask your veterinarian to recommend some kind of wet food canned for your pet, which will help your digestion better in these cases and hydration.
On the other hand, a good option is also moisten your feed with chicken broth without salt or warm water. You can also give the broth without mixing it with the feed.
Other tips for treating colds in dogs
In addition to these cold home remedies in dogs, you must also take into account These other tips:
- In your recovery it will be essential Rest, so allow your dog to sleep more than usual, but controlling that he eats and drinks.
- Offer your pet a quiet atmosphere for your rest If you have children at home, explain that the hairy must sleep to recover and that he can play again soon.
- Carries always water with you. If you are going to go out with your dog, always bring water to hydrate him, that the mucus is diluted faster and that, in case of fever, his body temperature is regulated.
- If your dog has a cold, reduce the time of walks and exercise Until you feel better.
- Also, if you do it in winter, try to go out with some clothes And if the day is very cold, you better stay safe. We know that the rides are very important, among other things, to make your needs out of the house, but think that it is better that during a day they do them in a diaper or soaper to go very cold and your cold leads to something worse.
- Avoid air currents.
- When a dog has a cough caused by a cold, it is essential avoid touching that area so that this is not complicated. Use an anti-pull harness, instead of the traditional collar to take it out.
- The fumes and pollution affect our petsSo this is another reason for not spending much time in the street when a dog has a cold. It can end other respiratory problems.
All these precautions and home remedies for colds in dogs They can always help your pet, but nobody better than a professional can tell you what is right For dogs in each case. Always go to a veterinarian in front of any symptoms that may indicate that your hairy is not well!
What is the common cold?
Is a pathology of viral origin (specifically they are viruses belonging to the family of Parainfluenza, although it may also be due to Adenovirus canine), which mainly affects the upper respiratory tract, causing inflammation, irritation and lesions in the mucosa that covers these pathways.
It results in symptoms such as frequent sneezing, irritative cough and abundant nasal mucus. This picture can be accompanied by tenths of fever, which results in the animal showing some apathy and malaise. If these symptoms become more acute or complicated, you should immediately go to the veterinarian.
How can a dog with a common cold help?
First you have to let him rest, because need to sleep a lot more than he usually does. Normally there is no appetite, so the animal stops eating or eats little. It is very important that I drink much water, so the drinker will always have fresh and clean water freely available. Water will help dilute the mucus and slightly reduce your body temperature.
1. Tea with honey
According to some studies, honey can relieve cough.
There is a study on treatments for nocturnal cough in children. It compares the results using dark honey, dextromethorphan, a medicine to suppress cough and no treatment.
Although the benefits of honey were lower than those of dextromethorphan, parents rated honey as the most favorable of the three options.
To use honey as a cough treatment, mix 2 tablespoons with hot water and an herbal tea. Drink this mixture once or twice a day. Please avoid children under 1 year of age eating honey.
What home remedies can I do to help my dog?
How the dog usually stops eating, the intake of I think moistened slightly with warm water (37ºC) or with a light meat broth (without salt), also at body temperature. This remedy usually works well. Keep in mind that the dog's metabolism accelerates with fever, so its caloric intake increases. It is not recommended to change the diet of the animal, because sudden changes in food often cause diarrhea.
To favor breathing, it is good moisten the environment. It can be done by vaporizers or simply by cooking water, to which you can add some essence, eucalyptus type or similar.
Ginger may facilitate asthmatic or dry cough, as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It could also relieve nausea and pain.
One study suggests that some anti-inflammatory components present in ginger can relax the airway membranes, which reduces cough. The researchers mainly studied the effects of ginger on the cells of humans and animals, although more research is needed.
Prepare a ginger tea with 20-40 grams of fresh ginger slices to a cup of hot water. Let it cool for a few minutes before drinking it. Add honey or lemon juice to improve the taste and further calm the cough.
Keep in mind that, in some cases, ginger tea can cause stomach upset or heartburn.
How can I reduce my dog's cough?
To the advice given above, try limit physical exercise of the dog, because it would increase the cough. Also in the case of dogs that go out with great anxiety to the street and pull a lot of the leash (which presses a lot on the throat), it is necessary to avoid it, either putting wider collars or using the anti-pull harness.
These tips can help improve the general condition of the dog, but it is necessary to remember that every viral infectious process has an evolution and healing comes from the response of the dog's immune system. The better our care, the sooner the dog will recover.
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for colds in dogsWe recommend that you enter our section on Home Remedies.
The most important thing for a cough or a cold is to stay hydrated. Research indicates that drinking fluids at room temperature can relieve cough, runny nose and sneezing.
However, people with additional symptoms of a cold or flu can benefit from hot drinks. The same study shows that these can improve symptoms even more, including sore throat, chills and tiredness.
The relief of symptoms is immediate and they continue for a while after finishing the hot drink.
Among the hot drinks that can be comforting, we find:
- clear broths,
- herbal tea,
- decaffeinated black tea,
- hot water, or
- hot fruit juices
4. Water vapor
Wet cough, one that produces mucosa or phlegm, may improve with water vapor. Take a shower or hot water bath and let the bath fill with steam. Stay inside for a few minutes until symptoms improve. Drink a glass of water afterwards to cool off and avoid dehydration.
Alternatively, prepare a bowl of steam. To do this, fill a large bowl with hot water. Add herbs or essential oils, such as eucalyptus or rosemary, which will help improve decongestion. Tilt over the bowl and cover the head with a towel. Thus the steam will be trapped. Inhale the vapors for 5 minutes. If you feel the heat of steam on the skin, stop until it cools.
People with a wet cough or chest congestion should follow the recommendations of the US National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. UU. (NHLBI) and use a steam humidifier in your home.
5. Marshmallow root
Marshmallow root is a herb widely used throughout history as a treatment for coughs and sore throats. The herb may improve the irritation caused by cough, due to its high mucilage content. It is a thick, sticky substance that covers the throat.
In another small study it was revealed that an herbal cough syrup with marshmallow root, thyme and ivy relieved the cough caused by common colds and respiratory tract infections. After 12 days of taking the syrup, 90 percent of the participants rated their effectiveness as good or very good.
Marshmallow root is also available in the form of dried herb or tea in sachets. Add hot water and drink it immediately or let it cool first. The longer the marshmallow root remains in the water, the more mucilage it will drink.
Side effects may include an upset stomach, but you can counteract it by drinking extra fluids.
You can buy the marshmallow root in health product stores or on the Internet.
6. Gargle with salt water
This simple remedy is one of the most effective for treating sore throat and wet cough. Salt water reduces phlegm and mucosa in the back of the throat, which may decrease the need to cough.
Stir half a teaspoon of salt in a cup of hot water until dissolved. Allow the solution to cool slowly before using it to gargle. Hold the mixture at the end of the throat for a few moments before spitting the mixture. Gargle with water and salt for several times each day until the cough improves.
Avoid giving younger children salt water, as they will not be able to gargle properly and if they swallow the salt water, it can be dangerous.
Bromelain is an enzyme that comes from pineapples and is more abundant in the heart of the fruit.
Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties and may also have mucolytic properties, which means that it can decrease the mucosa and eliminate it from the body.
Some people drink pineapple juice daily to reduce the mucosa of the throat and eliminate cough. However, there is not too much bromelain in the juice to relieve symptoms.
You can find bromelain supplements at a store and they may be more effective in eliminating cough. However, it is better to talk to a doctor before trying new supplements.
You may be allergic to bromelain. In addition, this herb can cause side effects and interact with medications. People who take specific anticoagulants or antibiotics should not take it.
Thyme has both culinary and medicinal uses and is a common remedy for cough, throat irritation, bronchitis and digestive problems.
One study showed that a cough syrup with thyme and yedra relieved the cough more effectively and faster than a placebo syrup in people with acute bronchitis. The antioxidants that make up the plant may be responsible for its benefits.
To treat a cough with thyme, look for a specific syrup that contains this type of herb. Alternatively, prepare a cup of tea and add two tablespoons of dried thyme in a cup of hot water. Let stand 10 minutes before filtering and drinking.
9. Food changes for acid reflux
Acid reflux is a common cause of cough. Avoiding foods that can cause acid reflux is one of the best ways to control this disease and reduce the cough that accompanies it.
Each individual can have different acid reflux triggers that they should avoid. People who are not sure of the causes that cause it can start by eliminating the most common triggers from their diet and monitoring their symptoms.
Foods and beverages that cause acid reflux most often include:
- citrus foods,
- fatty and fried foods,
- garlic and onions,
- food with spices and salt, or
- Tomatoes and products that contain them.
10. Slippery elm
Traditionally, Native Americans used slippery elm bark to treat coughs and digestive problems. The slippery elm is similar to marshmallow root, as it contains a high level of mucilage, which helps to soften the cough and throat irritation.
Prepare a slippery elm tea and add a tablespoon of dried herb in a cup of hot water. Let stand at least 10 minutes before drinking. It is important that you keep in mind that the slippery elm can interfere with the absorption of mediation.
You can find the slippery elm in capsule form or powders at any health-specific store or on the Internet.
Acetylcysteine is a supplement that comes from the amino acid L-Cysteine. You can take a daily dose to reduce the frequency and severity of wet cough, as it removes the mucosa of the respiratory tract.
A meta analysis of 13 studies suggests that acetylcysteine can significantly reduce the symptoms of people with chronic bronchitis. It is a prolonged inflammation in the airways that cause mucous secretion, cough and other symptoms.
The researchers suggest a daily dose of 600 milligrams (mg) for people without airway obstruction and, up to 1,200 mg, if there is an obstruction.
Acetylcysteine can have serious side effects, including hives, inflammation, fever and difficulty breathing. If you think you have some of these problems, you should consult your doctor.
Probiotics do not directly relieve a cough, but can stimulate the immune system by balancing bacteria in the intestine.
A strong immune system can help fight infections or allergens that cause cough.
According to one study, one type of probiotics, a bacterium called Lactobacillus, provides a moderate benefit in preventing a cold.
You can find supplements containing Lactobacillus and other probiotics in a store with health products or in the pharmacy.
Some foods are naturally rich in probiotics, including:
- miso soup,
- natural yogurt,
- the kimchi, or
However, the number and diversity of probiotic units in foods may vary. It may be better to take probiotic supplements than to eat foods rich in probiotics.
Tips to avoid a cold
It is not always possible to avoid catching a cold, but the following tips may reduce the risk:
-Avoid contact with people who are sick: Keep a safe distance with people who have colds, have a fever or cough.
- Wash your hands regularly: Use soap and hot water to eliminate bacteria and viruses from the skin. Teach children how to wash their hands properly. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when you are away from home and necessary.
- Use disinfectant: When a family member is sick, clean the kitchen and bathroom regularly with a disinfectant. Wash sheets, towels and stuffed toys with hot water.
- Stay hydrated: Drink enough water, herbal teas and other drinks to avoid dehydration.
- Reduce stress: Stress affects the immune system and increases the risk of getting sick. To relieve stress, a person can exercise regularly, meditate, breathe deeply and try to progressively practice techniques for muscle relaxation.
- Get enough sleep: Try to sleep between 7 and 9 hours each night to stay fit and healthy.
- Take supplements that boost the immune system: Consider taking zinc, vitamin C and probiotics during the cold and flu season to keep the disease at bay.
Sometimes the symptoms of allergy can be confused with those of the cold. Reduce allergy outbreaks and by doing so avoid pollen, dust mites, animal dander and mold. Ask a doctor if you want to find out about allergy shots or medications.
Consult a doctor
Consult a doctor if you suffer from any of the following symptoms when you have a cough:
Yellow and green phlegm with bad smell
- Shaking chills
- Fever above 38 ° C
- Fever for more than 3 days
Call the emergency department or go to the nearest emergency center if your cough:
- It is accompanied by blood, or
- It causes you difficulty breathing.
Translated by Carmen María González Morales