Fortunately, there are more and more options for you to move around and spend the holiday periods with your feline companion, but all of them involve certain concessions on your part. If you are also thinking of adopting a puppy cat, the level of care, dedication and costs will be higher during its first year of life, since kittens need certain education guidelines and veterinary requirements, such as vaccines, deworming, microchip and sterilization.
If you have already assessed all these aspects, and you decide to continue with the adoption, you can choose two ways to carry out the process:
1. Adopt a cat through individuals
Friends, acquaintances, ads in specialized stores, veterinary recommendations, searches through the network ("kittens for adoption" or "cats for adoption), or post-sharing on social networks. In this case, it is most convenient to establish direct contact with the bidder to inform you in detail of the age, race, characteristics and character of the adult kitten or cat for adoption. The adoption can occur for free, if it is a puppy and you must assume most of the initial veterinary expenses, or if it is a healthy adult cat.
Aspects to consider when adopting a kitten
It is true that the degree of flexibility is greater in the case that you decide on the puppies of cats for adoption, because they tend to be much more independent than a dog and do not need daily walks. But, in any case, and although fortunately there are more and more options to travel and enjoy with a feline companion, your pace of life should be able to adapt to your needs for care and care, especially if you decide to adopt a kitten.
The second aspect to consider is your predisposition (or that of other people who will live with him) to the development of allergies. Although many owners who suffer from them claim not to be affected by having a cat at home, it is convenient that before carrying out the adoption of puppies cats the appropriate tests are carried out to prevent the allergy from manifesting once already You have acquired the animal. You can also consult with a veterinarian to tell you which are the races with lower levels of allergens.
In addition to the two factors mentioned, if you are still considering adopting baby kittens for adoption, you should consider another series of aspects that will be part of living together throughout your life together. Among the main ones, the following should be noted:
- The cats, from small, They need to have a series of well-differentiated spaces to feel comfortable and safe. Specifically, you must allocate a quiet corner, properly ventilated and away from its feeding area to locate the sandbox where you will perform your needs. The most convenient thing is to cover your cat's size requirements as it grows, and to change the sand periodically to keep it clean.
- You should also look for another space where you will place your trough and trough, and a third party so you can rest and groom In the latter, you can place a cushion as a bed, near your scraper and toys.
- Baby kittens learn very quickly to develop their daily hygiene routines, but they are also characterized by their excessive energy It is very possible that your kitten, in his eagerness to play and discover, hide easily and try to scratch your clothes or other objects in the house, such as the sofa, furniture or curtains. Applying a certain discipline and a lot of calm can help you. Acquire a scraper and some toys in specialized stores, and familiarize them with them as soon as possible. In this way, you will get accustomed and not damage other surfaces.
- During its first year of life, it will be convenient for you to provide your cat with a specific feeding for kittens, in order to meet their nutritional needs during the growth phase.
- You should also accustom your little one to hygiene and care routines, These include nail cutting, bathing and brushing depending on the amount of hair. The sooner you get used to it, the easier it will be for you not to worry when you carry them out.
- It is essential that when adopting small cats you go as soon as possible to vet to have a full scan, and confirm that you are dewormed (internally and externally), and your vaccine list is up to date. You can take advantage of this visit to deepen the doubts that may have arisen before the adoption of puppies, and inform you about all the issues related to their future sterilization. Remember that you must purchase a carrier in specialized stores to perform this and other types of transfers.
Finally, if you have already decided to adopt a feline baby, duly inform yourself of the existing ways to host cat puppies for adoption. There are currently multiple platforms, shelters, shelters, agencies and protectors that have beautiful baby kittens for adoption.
2. Adopt a cat through non-profit entities
Protectors, shelters, shelters, and other local associations. Since most of them have a website that allows you to know the different profiles of cats for adoption (age, size, history, character), and even some of them offer the option that you can filter the search according to the parameters you have Preset, the ideal is that you contact directly with the selected one, and inform yourself about the feline that you have decided to adopt.
If the selected entity is close to your location, we recommend that you visit the cat, and receive more personalized advice. Think that many protectors usually offer the possibility of taking it temporarily before formalizing the adoption, so that you can assess your level of affinity and joint well-being.
How much does it cost to adopt a cat
In parallel, the entity will inform you of the cost of adoption, which will be conditioned by the age of the cat you are going to adopt. The approximate average cost of adoption varies between € 100 and € 50, depending mainly on the age of the cat (puppy or adult). This cost usually includes the veterinary review, the price of the first vaccines, internal and external deworming, and the implantation of the microchip. Once you have paid it, after passing the adoption protocol, you will be given the animal with its updated veterinary card.
These costs are derived from veterinary care received until the date of adoption, to ensure that all cats are delivered with their daily immunization card, sterilized if they are adults, dewormed internally and externally, and with the microchip. In the event that you adopt a kitten, the entity will surely offer you the possibility of being sterilized by its own veterinarians when it is time for sexual maturity, for a price lower than the market average.
Process to welcome a cat
From here, the entity will launch an action protocol, which usually includes the following phases:
- Questionnaire to validate your attitudes and predisposition to adoption.
- Visit your home, in order to establish a personal contact and confirm that the environment in which the adopted cat will live will be favorable for your well-being.
- Signing of the pre-delivery contract, in which the commitments, and responsibilities assumed by both parties are revealed, in order to rule out future abandonments, episodes of abuse, and other aspects that may harm the physical or psychological health of the animal .
- Payment and delivery of the adopted cat. To move the animal to your home, you must purchase a carrier that adapts to its dimensions.
In most cases, the entity will follow up during the first days of living together, in order to ensure that the process of adoption of the feline is optimal, and offer advice in which case you need it.
It is common for people who have adopted to send to the bidders (whether individuals or non-profit entities), comments, photos, and videos with the new family member, showing their level of gratitude, and happiness for the result of the process.
1. Adopt a cat: the arrival home
The first contact of the adopted cat with his house is very important. "You have to leave all the interior doors of the house open and for the cat to roam freely through the rooms," explains Jordi Ferres, cat educator and author of the Gats Educator portal.
Cats need to discover the territory with freedom and tranquility, so it is best not to stop their natural exploratory behavior. You have to allow them to sniff and investigate as much as they want.
But what to do if the cat is afraid and hides under the sofa? "You never have to force the cat to get out of hiding, it is more useful to let him feel safe there and just come to greet or talk to him, until he gains confidence," Ferres adds.
2. Adopt a cat: adaptation period
The adopted cat will choose his preferred room inside his new house, where he will feel safe and protected. This room will be where he spends most of the time and may also become the place to hide.
The cat's first three days at home are crucial: let's make sure he has everything he needs at his fingertips. Cat food, drink and sandbox should be placed in this chosen room, which we will leave open.
Feline toys are also useful for the cat to overcome, little by little, his fear.
3. Adopt a cat: give it confidence
The cat, little by little, will relax and be able to verify that there is no danger in his new home. After the first three days, the sandbox, the food and the drink must be taken out of the room that serves as a refuge to place them in the final location chosen for them.
This change of location will drive the fearful cat out of his hiding place and gradually explore his new home.
4. Visit to the veterinarian
An adopted cat may have a cold, especially if he has been on the street, has a disease or has fleas. A visit to the veterinarian is very important.
The feline doctor can explore you, start the cat's vaccination schedule and rule out diseases, such as feline immunodeficiency, that can be dangerous if we have other cats at home.
5. Adopt a cat with other cats at home
When there are other cats at home, how should we introduce the new cat? The first step is to receive the approval of the veterinarian: make sure that your health is good and that we are not in danger of spreading diseases.
The feline carrier will be a valuable ally during this initial encounter. "The adopted cat must remain inside this gadget, which will be placed in the living room or another central room of the house," explains veterinarian Patricia González.
For ten minutes, let the animals sniff and discover themselves, with the protection of the carrier. The behavior of cats during this time will offer valuable clues about how the coexistence between cats will be.
If the acceptance is positive, the cat can be released and allowed to be inspected without further barriers, being careful to always monitor these first encounters. If there is not so much luck, it will be better to separate the animals and repeat these approaches several times a day, without stressing them, so that they are accepted.
Read more articles on cat and cat adoption. Follow the author on Twitter @evasanmartinf.
Rules of publication of comments
EROSKI CONSUMER comments are moderated to ensure a constructive dialogue between users, so they will not appear immediately.
Here we explain what criteria we follow to post comments. Those users who do not follow these rules of cordiality will not see their opinions on our website:
- Please send comments intended to share opinions regarding the topics published on our portal.
- Avoid insults or disqualifications to foster an environment in which everyone feels comfortable and free, in short, a tone that encourages participation.
- When commenting, try not to be repetitive. In this sense, comments from users who use other profiles to influence the same topic will not be published.
- Do not use this channel to advertise commercial content.
Eroski Consumer is not responsible for the opinions expressed by users.
Eroski Consumer is an informative product of the Eroski Foundation. Any comments on the Eroski brand should be directed to Eroski Customer Service.
Steps to adopt a cat
- One of the first steps to adopt a cat will be to find this one. For it, You can search through ads online, friends, family or social networks. You will realize that many people give cats for adoption and although it will not cost you anything, you will have to assume any veterinary expenses (in the case of puppies especially).
- On the other hand, if you adopt a cat from a private individual, it must inform you well about the breed of the cat, how old it is and if it has any disease That should be treated immediately.
- At case of opting for adoption through a protective or any organization that is dedicated to rescue animals such as cats and dogs, we can consult all the information by calling or looking at their website, but they will also give us the option to visit their facilities to meet the cats that are for adoption so that You can choose one for yourself. Also, surely They will make you a questionnaire to verify that you are qualified for adoption and that you know what it means to have to live with a pet at home.
- You must take into account the cost of adoption since it is usually established based on the age of the cat you want to adopt. Anyway, we can say that the average is around 50-100 euros, and includes a veterinary review, the cost of the first vaccines as well as the internal and external deworming of the animal, in addition to the identification microchip that every animal must carry.
- When you have paid the cost of adoption and have passed the entire protocol so that adoption is approved they will give you the cat, with his veterinary card, and you can take it home.
- Now you just have to take care of the cat's needs at all times, and also give him all your love, but it is possible that the protector makes a visit home to see how the first days of adaptation of the animal are going, In addition to advising you at all times so that everything goes well.