The indigestion or empacho It is characterized as a general indisposition caused by excessive food consumption or some digestive difficulty. Not only we, human beings, can be affected by these episodes, but the empacho in dogs is more common than we tend to imagine.
While we are accustomed to thinking of empacho as something normal or as a "minor problem", episodes of indigestion in dogs should not be ignored, as they can cause digestive problems, such as the accumulation of gases in the gastrointestinal tract, which They affect the welfare of the animal. Also, the habit of eating too much or gobble the food at one time without chewing it, it is an alarming risk factor for gastric torsion, one of the deadliest diseases in dogs.
At ExpertAnimal we always strive to provide you with useful content that helps you take better care of your most faithful companion. Therefore, we have prepared a special article on the empacho in dogs, their symptoms, causes and risk factors. At the end of the note, you will also find some home remedies to relieve the indigestion of your hairy and help him feel better.
Causes and risk factors for impalement in dogs
As we have mentioned, the cause of dog impasse is almost always the excessive or exaggerated consumption of food, either feed or human / homemade food. Although any dog can eventually suffer indigestion, these episodes may be more frequent among those dog breeds that tend to be more gluttonous and eat their food with great speed, practically without chewing it.
This gluttonous behavior is one of the risk factor's not only of the empacho, but also of the gastric torsion in dogs. In addition, the realization of physical exercise shortly after the consumption of food can also favor an impasse, digestive problems such as gas, vomiting and diarrhea, and end up causing the dreaded stomach torsion.
Dogs that spend many hours without eating, as well as those that live on the streets and must feed in a timely manner or scavenger, can also eat very fast and ingest a large amount of liquids and food at once, to quench the terrible hunger and the thirst that affects them.
On the other hand, episodes of indigestion may also be more frequent in those hairy ones who already have poor digestion due to some underlying health problem, as well as in dogs that have allergies or food intolerance and do not receive adequate nutrition to their specific needs.
Dogs that live in a negative environment that causes a context of stress, fear or anxietyThey are also more vulnerable to suffer from an impasse and develop more severe digestive diseases. Last (but not least), eating banned dog food could also lead to indigestion.
Most frequent symptoms of indigestion in dogs
Many people will ask how to know when your dog has an indigestion or if your feed has not suited you very well. In general, the first symptom of an impalement in dogs is usually the production of belching and vomiting some time after eating their food.
But the following may also occur symptoms of a bagged dog:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Stomach ache
- Lie in strange positions
How to treat a dog's empacho?
If your dog eventually shows these symptoms for a while after ingesting its feed, it is most likely a bog. Happily, an eventual episode of indigestion it's not something seriousIn fact, almost all dogs have had a bog at some time in their life.
In these cases, the best we can do is suspend food administration of our hairy between 12 and 24 hours, according to the evolution of its symptoms. However, water should always be at your disposal to help you purify your body and avoid possible dehydration as a result of vomiting or diarrhea.
After the time of cleansing fasting, we will need progressively restore your diet, offering your food in small quantities and in several daily doses. In addition, we can apply some home remedies to relieve your discomfort and help you make a better digestion, as we will see in the next section.
However, you see that your hairy has these symptoms frequently, ingests his food or water always very fast (as if he had some "despair"), or you perceive that your dog is very thin despite eating well, we recommend go to the vet to rule out any pathology or the presence of parasites in your gastrointestinal tract. Then, if possible pathological causes are ruled out, you can consult with a canine educator to help you promote better eating habits in your best friend, as well as a calmer state.
On the other hand, if you suspect that your dog may have ingested some dangerous food or toxic substance, do not hesitate to go to the veterinary center or hospital closer to your home. And if the symptoms persist for more than 24 hours, veterinary care will also be necessary.
Home remedies for the impasse in dogs
In the case of eventual indigestion due to excessive consumption of feed or homemade food, we can use some home solutions to reduce the upset stomach of our hairy, stimulate their digestive process and keep them well hydrated.
Logically, these natural remedies do not replace the specialized care of a veterinarian, but they will help us unpack a dog and provide some comfort.
5 home remedies for a bagged dog
- Chamomile: Chamomile is one of the most beneficial herbs for dogs, for its digestive, soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. If you wonder what to give a dog when his stomach hurts, chamomile tea is the answer you were looking for. Its infusion relieves stomach upset and promotes digestion, resulting in an excellent natural remedy for dog impalement. If your dog is soaked, you can offer 2 tablespoons of chamomile tea at room temperature, without sugar or sweeteners.
- Cinnamon: There are many benefits of cinnamon for dogs, since this species has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal and digestive properties. In moderate doses, it helps relieve muscle spasms, stomach cramps and prevents gas formation. To prevent digestive problems, we can add ½ teaspoon (coffee) of cinnamon in the recipes we prepare for our hairy. And to relieve the symptoms of indigestion, we can offer 1 tablespoon of cinnamon tea to our dog.
- Turmeric: Dogs can eat turmeric and this species is highly beneficial for your body. In addition to being one of the best home remedies for gas in dogs, it is also a great ally in the relief of stomach pains caused by empacho. But it is important to respect the dose of 60mg daily and a maximum consumption of 3 times per week.
- Homemade serum: homemade whey is a good remedy for those packaged dogs that have had vomiting and diarrhea, preventing a possible dehydration disorder. In Expert Animal, we teach you how to prepare a homemade serum easily and simply.
- Probiotics: If you wonder how to clean the stomach of a bagged dog, probiotics can be your great allies. These strains contain beneficial bacteria and yeasts that promote digestion and purification of the organism, help balance the intestinal flora and relieve digestive discomfort. Currently, probiotics are marketed in almost all stores dedicated to pets, and you can also opt for natural probiotics such as yogurt (without sugars and / or reduced in lactose) or kefir, offering 1 or 2 tablespoons to your hairy, of according to its size and weight.
How to prevent the empacho in dogs?
To prevent the impasse in dogs, we must follow the following guidelines:
- Provide them with a complete and balanced nutrition, supplying the specific nutritional requirements of each stage of their v>
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to I pack in dogs - Symptoms and how to cure with home remediesWe recommend that you enter our section on Intestinal Problems.
Pets always have to eat right
A Inappropriate diet is the biggest enemy of the digestive system of our pets. Therefore, we must ensure that the animal eats the right thing.
Not only is it important that foods that are suitable for intake, but also it is essential that the quantities are correct. Most medical consultations carried out with certain types of animals have precisely a digestive origin.
Main symptoms of indigestion in pets
The first symptom that we will notice in our animal is that, shortly after eating, vomiting, or can even do so without eating any type of food. We will also perceive that it is more reluctant in general. We will notice it downcast and without forces.
Further, Digestive problems are usually accompanied by stomach aches or pains. Therefore, it is possible for our pet to adopt some unusual position, which relieves pain.
How to act if our pets get packed
When indigestion occurs in pets, owners can take the following measures to take care of them:
- Once we perceive that the animal suffers indigestion, It is essential that you are fasting for 12 hours.
- When the vomiting begins, they may be repeated until the animal empties its stomach. The time to start fasting is when these vomiting stops.
- Once that time has passed, we can start feeding him but in low doses. Then, gradually, we will increase the amount, until it is the usual one after a couple of days.
- If it does not relapse, it means that the problem has been overcome.
On the other hand, A fundamental aspect is to try to keep the animal from becoming dehydrated., something that could happen because of vomiting and diarrhea, if you have it. Do not allow him to drink a lot of liquid at once, as he is likely to vomit again.
- Offer it small doses but often and make sure he takes them.
- When the symptoms do not remit after two or three days, take it without delay to the veterinarian. The problem could get complicated and lead to pancreatitis, stomach torsion or cause an ulcer.
- Of course, Also go to a professional if at any time you see blood in the stool or vomit.
Home remedies for colic in dogs
Dogs are prone to gas if we don't take care of them. Low quality foodLittle exercise, age, eating in a hurry, stress and not resting after each food intake can cause gas. Colic are very annoying, they crush your abdomen, cause discomfort, pain and apathy. That's why we have to know how to unpack it and how to clean your belly.
To prevent your dog from having gas and make it better, the best thing you can do is adopt a healthy routine for him. To start, check with our veterinarians that the food you are giving is top quality. If you have incorporated into your diet any human product, be very careful with beans, beans and other garden products that swell your belly.
Whenever you turn to natural food, you have to do it with the advice of our online dietitians to make sure that everything you give is easily digested for them.
How to prevent indigestion in pets
1. Balanced diet. As we said, the pet should always eat the right amount according to their age and physical condition, no more, no less. If in doubt, you should consult your veterinarian.
2. Do not allow him to eat quickly. One of the reasons for indigestion and empachos is that the animal eats with anxiety. Try to prevent this from happening.
3. Nothing left over. When it comes to giving an animal human food we have to be careful, since not all food is convenient, and it is more difficult to control. It is best that you eat your own food.
4. No exercise. We must prevent our pets from exercising as soon as they eat. If possible, they should be inactive for about 30 minutes once they finish.
5. Special foods. If we notice that the animal frequently suffers from cramps or indigestion despite implementing these tips, it would be important to consult your veterinarian about the possibility of eating a special diet, some food may feel bad.
Now you know not only how to act, but also how to prevent indigestion and petting. Put it into practice to maintain the health of your animal friend in optimal conditions.
What to give to the stomach for the dog if it hurts
If it hurts because it is soaked with gas, the first thing you have to do is change your pace of life. In those situations, you never have to go the easy way of giving him a home remedy or medicine. If you do this, the gases will end up coming back sooner or later. First, discard with our online veterinarians that you are suffering from gastric torsion, a gastroentirtis, an ulcer or an infestation of parasites.
Once you've done it, start increasing the time you spend with him. This is important even if your dog is old. Of course, if he is in top form and is young, he will walk more, having to schedule shorter rides if older. The movement helps the gases to go out and poop, so it is great for it to be unpacked.
How to clean a dog's stomach
In addition to eating well and walking more, there is something you have to worry about when you go to his side: that he doesn't eat anything weird. Many dogs have a habit of eating garbage and even poops from other dogs. You don't have to react violently if this happens. The dogs explore their surroundings taking to their jaws what causes them curiosity. If you pull the belt violently, you will not understand what you have done wrong.
Therefore, you have to do it calmly and using positive reinforcement. On many occasions we believe that our dog is soaked, but in reality what is happening is having a bad time because it has eaten something in poor condition.
With all these precautions, you just have to know how to clean a dog's stomach. To achieve this, get chamomile, probiotics, lots of water and patience. It will take your dog about four days to be perfect. Start making him fast throughout the day, feeding him progressively after 24 hours.
What you do have to give is water, to prevent dehydration. When you eat again, give probiotics so that the flora improves and takes the opportunity to change your diet for quality feed, homemade recipes and cans of wet food. With a varied and rich diet, easy to digest, lots of exercise, sports and walks and drinking lots of water, you will get the empacho removed. Remember that chamomile, taken warm, also helps to settle the stomach. But before giving it, he says he doesn't have a disease.
If you need extra help, do not hesitate to contact our veterinarians online. Depending on their age and their particular situation, they will be able to give you personalized advice so that they can pass the break as soon as possible.
Have you been left with doubts? Ask our veterinarians:
Learn how to act against gastric problems and indispositions of your pet
Food is one of the greatest pleasures of pets, but eating lots of food or leftovers from human food it can cause you to get tired or indigestion. Generally an indisposed animal have vomiting and diarrhea soon after eating or even without having consumed any food. You will also find yourself reluctant and without strength.
How to act
Once the state of the animal is perceived, it must be in fasting for 12 hours For the stomach to rest. Otherwise, he will vomit again. Once that time has passed, if the situation improves, offer some food. If you don't want to eat, don't force him. Slowly the stomach will recover its functioning and the animal can eat its usual ration.
It is frequent that the animal becomes dehydrated by vomiting and diarrhea, so it is convenient to have water. However, you have to be cautious. If you swallow a lot of stroke you can vomit again. Offer small doses every hour.
After 2-3 days the symptoms should remit. If you do not approach the veterinarian because the problem could be greater.
How to prevent
To avoid these situations it is advisable that the pet follow a balanced diet that fits your weight and age. And above all, you have to be careful with the remains of human food because they can sit badly.
Sometimes the empachos occur because the animal eagerly eats. Find a technique that does not allow you to eat quickly.
If the dog suffers indigestion frequently consult with a veterinarian on the possibility of eating a special diet.
How to act in case of impasse or indigestion in pets
Do not give food until 12 hours after vomiting, because he would probably vomit it again, to let the stomach rest. After that time and if you do not vomit more should put 1/8 part of your usual ration e increase the dose little up to the normal amount to 2-3 days. In this way, you will let the stomach recover its functioning.
With vomiting and diarrhea you lose a lot of water that you have to recover, however, if you put the bowl full of water and drink a lot of blow you can vomit again. The ideal thing to rehydrate you is change the water every hour with moderate amounts of an intake. You can put ice on it so that it sucks and drinks slowly.
If you continue to vomit or make bloody stools, go to the vet to rule out other problems. Heavy digestions, excess fats and large packets of food can cause ulcers, inflammation of the pancreas or pancreatitis or stomach torsion.